Books by and about 2020 presidential candidates|
| Crippled America,|
by Donald J. Trump (2015)
| Fire and Fury,|
by Michael Wolff (2018)
| Trump Revealed,|
by Michael Kranish and Marc Fisher (2016)
| The Making of Donald Trump,|
by David Cay Johnston (2016)
| Promise Me, Dad ,|
by Joe Biden (2017)
| The Book of Joe ,|
by Jeff Wilser (2019; biography of Joe Biden)
| The Truths We Hold,|
by Kamala Harris (2019)
| Smart on Crime,|
by Kamala Harris (2010)
| Guide to Political Revolution,|
by Bernie Sanders (2017)
| Where We Go From Here,|
by Bernie Sanders (2018)
| Our Revolution,|
by Bernie Sanders (2016)
| This Fight Is Our Fight,|
by Elizabeth Warren (2017)
by Cory Booker (2016)
|Conscience of a Conservative,|
by Jeff Flake (2017)
| Two Paths,|
by Gov. John Kasich (2017)
|Every Other Monday,|
by Rep. John Kasich (2010)
|Courage is Contagious,|
by John Kasich (1998)
| Shortest Way Home,|
by Pete Buttigieg (2019)
by Michelle Obama (2018)
| Higher Loyalty,|
by James Comey (2018)
| The Making of Donald Trump,|
by David Cay Johnston (2017)
| Higher Loyalty ,|
by James Comey (2018)
| Trump vs. Hillary On The Issues ,|
by Jesse Gordon (2016)
| Outsider in the White House,|
by Bernie Sanders (2015)
(click a book cover for a review or other books by or about the presidency from Amazon.com)
Fact-checking on 2020 Presidential, Gubernatorial, and Senatorial campaigns
EXPLANATORY NOTE by OnTheIssues.org:
"Fact-checking" means that an independent news/political organization examines
statements made in campaign advertising or in poltiical debates, to see if they are objectively true or not.
The first fact-checking organization was called FactCheck.org (described below) but in recent years many other organizations have joined in.
Some that we use are:
Fact-checking has become commonplace in recent years; but originally we used only FactCheck.org.
They are often accused of partisanship (as are all fact-checking services, so we attempt to balance them against each other and report only non-partisan facts here).
Following is FactCheck.org's self-description; all of the other services are linked from above so you can check out their similar self-descriptions:
- FactCheck.org analyses the veracity of statements made during political races.
[OnTheIssues.org excerpts only two types of analyses]:
- From debates and public speeches
- From TV & radio advertisements
- [OnTheIssues.org excerpts do not include poll-based claims; partisan claims; nor "atatck" claims unless they include policy issues].
- Following is the self-description of how FactCheck.org works:
[FactCheck.org is] a nonpartisan, nonprofit, "consumer advocate" for voters that aims to reduce the level of deception and confusion in U.S. politics. We monitor the factual accuracy of what is said by major U.S. political players in the form of TV ads, debates, speeches, interviews, and news releases. Our goal is to apply the best practices of both journalism and scholarship, and to increase public knowledge and understanding.
The Annenberg Political Fact Check is a project of the Annenberg Public Policy Center of the University of Pennsylvania. The APPC was established by publisher and philanthropist Walter Annenberg in 1994 to create a community of scholars within the University of Pennsylvania that would address public policy issues at the local, state, and federal levels.
The APPC accepts NO funding from business corporations, labor unions, political parties, lobbying organizations or individuals. It is funded primarily by the Annenberg Foundation.
-- Jesse Gordon, jesse@OnTheIssues.org, April 2019
Fact-checking in 2020 races:
- ABC This Week: special edition 20/20: Town Hall interview, 9/15/20, plus FactCheck from Kiplinger's, 2/3/2021
- Associated Press, "False claims flood Trump-Biden debate," by Calvin Woodward and Hope Yen, Sept. 30, 2020
- NBC News, "Proud Boys celebrate after Trump's debate callout," by Ben Collins and Brandy Zadrozny, Sept. 30, 2020
- Aljazeera News, "Biden’s ‘inshallah’ during US debate dubbed ‘historic’ on Twitter", 30 Sep 2020
- NBC News, "First 2020 presidential debate: Fact-checking Biden and Trump," by Jane C. Timm, Adam Edelman, Ben Kamisar and Carrie Dann, Sept. 29, 2020
- The Oregonian, "Trump claims in debate 'Portland Sheriff' gave him endorsement; Reese quickly responds: I 'will never support him'," by K. Rambo, Sep 29, 2020
- CNN Fact check: "Trump makes more than 20 false or misleading claims in accepting presidential nomination," by Daniel Dale, Maggie Fox, Andrew Kaczynski, Caroline Kelly, Katie Lobosco, Tami Luhby, Holmes Lybrand, Paul P. Murphy, Alex Rogers, Tara Subramaniam and Maegan Vazquez, August 28, 2020
- NBC News, "Fact check: Night 3 of the Republican National Convention," by Jane C. Timm, Adam Edelman and Sahil Kapur, Aug. 26, 2020
- NBC News "Fact-checking Night 2 of the Republican National Convention," by Jane C. Timm and Adam Edelman, Aug. 25, 2020
- Associated Press, "Trump hype on drug costs, hydroxychloroquine," by Hope Yen and Calvin Woodward, August 3, 2020
- OnTheIssues FactCheck on Fox News Sunday interview of Donald Trump, July 19, 2020
- CNN K-File, "From AIDS to Covid-19: Trump's decades of spreading dangerous misinformation about disease outbreaks," by Andrew Kaczynski, Nathan McDermott and Em Steck, May 30, 2020
- RealClearPolitics, "Limbaugh: I Hope Some Governor Grows So Fed Up With This Shutdown And Reopens Their State," by Ian Schwartz, April 15, 2020
- FactCheck.org on 8th Democrat 2020 primary debate Feb 8, 2020
- PolitiFact Fact-Check on 2020 State of the Union address Feb 5, 2020
- NPR Fact-Check on 2020 State of the Union address Feb 4, 2020
- PolitiFact.com FactCheck on 2020 Democratic primary Oct 30, 2019
- CNN K-File FactCheck on 2020 presidential hopefuls Sep 4, 2019
- Snopes.com Fact-Check on 2020 presidential hopefuls Jan 28, 2019
- The Hill e-zine, "Trump thanks Obama for leaving so many judicial vacancies," by Morgan Gstalter, 03/29/18
- NBC News, "Joe Biden's Son Hunter Kicked Out of Navy for Cocaine," by Jim Miklaszewski and Courtney Kube, Oct. 16, 2014
- Poverty Action Lab, "The Effects of Voter ID Notification on Voter Turnout in the United States," by Donald Green, Jack Citrin, & Morris Levy, 2012
| OnTheIssues.org excerpts: (click on issues for details)
Joe Donnelly: Proposed abortion bill that defined "forcible rape".
Mike Pence: Federal funding of Planned Parenthood is "morally wrong".
Mike Pence: Proposed abortion bill that defined "forcible rape".
Joe Biden: Fact-Check: opposes Hyde Amendment, after decades of support.
Kamala Harris: Repeal Hyde Amendment; unacceptable that Biden voted for it.
Elizabeth Warren: Legal abortions are safer than tonsillectomies.
Budget & Economy|
Larry Kudlow: Fact check: No, Trump didn't inherit stagnant economy.
Donald Trump: FactCheck: Proud Boys standing by to deal with Antifa.
Joe Biden: This is Trump's America: Proud Boys over Antifa.
Kate Brown: Racism and hate are not forms of patriotism.
Mike Pence: No evidence of hate crimes over gender identity.
Mike Pence: Changing definition of marriage is abolishing marriage.
Donald Trump: FactCheck: LBJ civil rights laws dwarf any Trump action.
Donald Trump: FactCheck: No, not endorsed by Portland's Sheriff.
Donald Trump: FactCheck: Yes, Trump aide said rioting & chaos helps Trump.
Donald Trump: FactCheck: Hillary used term "super predators," not Biden.
Joe Biden: FactCheck: Endorsed by 175 law enforcement officials.
Donald Trump: FactCheck: Order on statues merely enforces existing law.
Kristi Noem: FactCheck: No, BLM protests are mostly peaceful.
Donald Trump: FactCheck: falsely claims Biden wants to defund the police.
Joe Biden: 1994: Billions for state prisons but fewer billions than GOP.
Joe Biden: FactCheck: Attended U.Delaware, not Delaware State HBCU.
Energy & Oil|
Mike Pence: Cap and trade would raise home utility rates more than $3100.
Mike Pence: Build Keystone XL; drill ANWR.
Mike Pence: Global warming is a myth; treaty is a disaster.
Donald Trump: Fact-Check:US became #1 producer of natural gas in 2009.
Mike Pence: Won't comply with EPA rules on toxic mercury.
Families & Children|
Mike Pence: Day-care kids suffer stunted emotional development.
Joe Biden: FactCheck: Yes, US has tried "Buy American" for 100 years.
Donald Trump: Fact-Check:USMCA mostly a cosmetic refreshing of NAFTA.
Donald Trump: Fact-Check: Union support for USMCA was mixed.
Barack Obama: FactCheck: Senate GOP blocked over 100 open judgeships.
Donald Trump: FactCheck: 128 judgeships open because Senate GOP forced it.
Mike Pence: FactCheck: Yes, voter ID laws may increase voter turnout.
Joe Biden: 30 years ago, I proposed campaign finance reform.
Cato Institute: FactCheck: Whistleblower rules never require 1st-hand report.
Bernie Sanders: 2005: Allow suing gun manufacturers for negligence.
Richard Ojeda: Deaths and injuries every month from senseless gun violence.
Martha McSally: Require covering pre-existing conditions, but no funding.
Donald Trump: FactCheck: No massive prices cuts for prescription drugs.
Donald Trump: FactCheck: experts changed on use of masks as facts emerged.
Donald Trump: FactCheck: No, America has tested less than Europe combined.
Donald Trump: FactCheck: Coronavirus testing has missed 90% of cases.
Donald Trump: FactCheck: Undercut protection for preexisting conditions.
Barack Obama: 2014: Africa travel ban to battle Ebola outbreak.
Donald Trump: 1993: Falsely claimed you may get AIDS from kissing.
Rush Limbaugh: We've never shut down for illness before; it's political.
Mike Bloomberg: 2011: We're going to cut back Medicaid and Medicare.
Bernie Sanders: FactCheck: US pays twice OECD average, but not every country.
Pete Buttigieg: 2018: Medicare-for-All; 2020: only for those who want it.
Donald Trump: Fact-Check: 4,311 drugs had price hike; 619 were lowered.
Donald Trump: Executive order requiring healthcare price transparency.
Joe Biden: FactCheck: Yes, Hunter Biden was kicked out of military.
Mike Pence: Homosexuals in the ranks weakens unit cohesion.
Donald Trump: FactCheck: Obama signed Veterans Choice, not Trump.
Mike Pence: Fact Check: Takes credit for Veterans Choice passed in 2014.
Bernie Sanders: FactCheck: $1.8 trillion on all military, not just weapons.
Donald Trump: FactCheck: Only 5 out 300 miles of wall are in new places.
Donald Trump: FactCheck: 9 million jobs offset by 22.2 million job loss.
Larry Kudlow: Fact check: unemployment fell to lowest rate of 3.5%.
Joe Biden: I supported $15 minimum wage in NYC years ago.
Donald Trump: Fact-Check: Job creation has increased, but at lower rate.
Principles & Values|
Mike Pence: To reverse American decline must win back traditional values.
Joe Biden: FactCheck: No, only 50% of recent presidents were Ivy league.
Donald Trump: FactCheck: "We have the best testing in the world"? Not!
Joe Biden: FactCheck:Yes, entered & left Congress as one of the poorest.
Kamala Harris: FactCheck: Constitutionally eligible to run for presidency.
Mike Bloomberg: 2009: Called Social Security a "Ponzi scheme".
Joe Biden: Restructure tax code while protecting Social Security.
Joe Biden: Tax earnings over $400K, capital gains & estate tax.
Donald Trump: FactCheck: False claim that Biden raises everybody's taxes.
Donald Trump: Fact Check: Claims falsely that Biden would raise all taxes.
Joe Biden: Return top rate to 39.6% from 37%; cap itemized deductions.
Joe Biden: FactCheck: tax hike on top 1%, not on all American families.
Elizabeth Warren: FactCheck: "2% wealth tax" is 6% on wealthiest billionaires.
War & Peace|
Dan Crenshaw: Fact Check: Claims ISIS defeated; Pentagon says otherwise.
Joe Biden: FactCheck: removed troops from Iraq, but they went back.
Tom Steyer: Obama got Iran to give up its nuclear ambitions.
Donald Trump: Fact-Check: Trump has sent more troops to MidEast.
Joe Biden: FactCheck:No, didn't oppose Iraq War right after war started.
The above quotations are from Fact-checking on 2020 Presidential, Gubernatorial, and Senatorial campaigns.